St. Albert the Great Parish was established on January 1,1987, in the Diocese of Austin by a Decree of Erection signed by the Most Reverend John McCarthy. Father Albert Palermo was the founding Pastor for the parish. Father Al came to Austin at the request of the Bishop after serving as Campus Minister and Pastor at St. Mary's Catholic Church in College Station, where he served the Texas A&M Students for seven years. After canvassing other Austin Parishes for families to join him in the newly formed Parish, over three hundred households registered with Saint Albert the Great.
St. Albert the Great was chosen as the patron Saint for our Parish because of the relevance of his background in the natural sciences to the high-tech focus of the Church vicinity. Living from the year 1200 to 1280 A.D., he is the only man from the Middle Ages to be called "the Great". St. Albert is best known as the teacher of St. Thomas Aquinas. He was proficient in all branches of philosophy and theology and is known as the "Father" of the natural sciences. His Feast Day is celebrated on November 15th.